Welcome to the Gao lab!
Our research lies at the interface of chemical biology and biomolecular engineering with a primary focus on small- and macro-molecule discovery and their applications to human health, agriculture, and energy.
- Hu J.H., Miller S.M., Geurts M.H., Tang W., Chen L., Sun N., Zeina C.M., Gao, X., Rees H.A., Lin Z., Liu D.R., “Evolved Cas9 variants with broad PAM compatibility and high DNA specificity.” Nature, 2018, doi: 10.1038/nature26155.
- Gao, X., Tao Y., Lamas, V., Chen, Z. Y., Liu, D. R., et al, “Treatment of autosomal dominant hearing loss by in vivo delivery of genome editing agents.” Nature, 2018, 553, 217-221, doi:10.1038/nature25164.
- Jiménez-Osés, G., Osuna S., Gao, X., Tang, Y., Houk, K. N. et al, “The Role of Distant Mutations and Allosteric Regulation on LovD Active Site Dynamics.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2014, (6):431-6.
- Gao, X., Jiang, W, Houk K.N., Yi Tang, Walsh C.T. et al, “An Iterative, Bimodular Nonribosomal Peptide Synthetase that Converts Anthranilate and Tryptophan into Tetracyclic Asperlicins.” Chem. Biol., 2013, 20, 870-878.
- Gao, X., Haynes, S. W., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Cyclization of fungal nonribosomal peptides by a terminal condensation-Like domain.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2012, 8, 823-830.
- Gao, X., Chooi, Y., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Fungal quinazoline alkaloid biosynthesis: Genetic and biochemical investigation of the tryptoquialanine pathway in Penicillium aethiopicum.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 2729-2741. (Highlighted by Nat. Chem. Biol.)
- Gao, X., Wang, P., Tang, Y. “Engineered polyketides biosynthesis and biocatalysis in Escherichia coli.” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2010, 88, 1233-1242.
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Pashkov, I., Sawaya, R. M., Tang, Y et al. “Directed evolution and structural characterization of a simvastatin synthase.” Chem. Biol., 2009, 16, 1064-1074. (2012 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award)
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Tang, Y. “LovD mutants exhibiting improved properties towards simvastatin synthesis.” U.S. Patent No. 8,981,056 (Licensed Patent)
Mar. 26th, 2019- Prof. Wenjun Zhang visited us and gave a fantastic seminar!
Jan. 6th-9th, 2019- Sherry and Biki attended the ICBE conference at NewPort Beach, California. Very inspired by all the great talks and communications! Particularly by the Nobel laureate Frances Arnold!
Dec. 7th, 2018- Our collaborative proposal with Prof. Kolomeisky (Chemistry), and Phillips (Biosciences) enables us to win the 2018 Creative Ventures Fund – InterDisciplinary Excellence Award (IDEA)! Thanks!
Nov. 21st, 2018- Group dinner @Wanna Bao. Happy Thanksgiving!
Feb. 28th, 2018- Our paper on “Broader PAM Cas9” was published on Nature!
Dec. 20th, 2017- Our Paper is online in Nature with many News and Views!