Welcome to the Gao lab!
Our research lies at the interface of chemical biology and biomolecular engineering with primary focus on small- and macro molecule discovery and their applications to human health, agriculture, and energy.
- Hu J.H., Miller S.M., Geurts M.H., Tang W., Chen L., Sun N., Zeina C.M., Gao, X., Rees H.A., Lin Z., Liu D.R., “Evolved Cas9 variants with broad PAM compatibility and high DNA specificity.” Nature, 2018, doi: 10.1038/nature26155.
- Gao, X., Tao Y., Lamas, V., Chen, Z. Y., Liu, D. R., et al, “Treatment of autosomal dominant hearing loss by in vivo delivery of genome editing agents.” Nature, 2018, 553, 217-221, doi:10.1038/nature25164.
Article Metrics in Nature
News in Nature
News and Views in Nature (favorite)
News from Rice University
News from University of Rochester
News from the broadinstitute
News from HHMI
News from Harvard University
News from Yahoo
News from LAtimes
News from orlandosentinel
News from drugtargetreview
News from theguardian.com
News from axios
News from scientificamerican
News from the-scientist
News from theverge
News from newscientist
News from dailymail UK
News from huffingtonpost UK
News from medicalxpress
And many more…….
- Jiménez-Osés, G., Osuna S., Gao, X., Tang, Y., Houk, K. N. et al, “The Role of Distant Mutations and Allosteric Regulation on LovD Active Site Dynamics.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2014, (6):431-6.
- Gao, X., Jiang, W, Houk K.N., Yi Tang, Walsh C.T. et al, “An Iterative, Bimodular Nonribosomal Peptide Synthetase that Converts Anthranilate and Tryptophan into Tetracyclic Asperlicins.” Chem. Biol., 2013, 20, 870-878.
- Gao, X., Haynes, S. W., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Cyclization of fungal nonribosomal peptides by a terminal condensation-Like domain.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2012, 8, 823-830.
- Gao, X., Chooi, Y., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Fungal quinazoline alkaloid biosynthesis: Genetic and biochemical investigation of the tryptoquialanine pathway in Penicillium aethiopicum.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 2729-2741. (Highlighted by Nat. Chem. Biol.)
- Gao, X., Wang, P., Tang, Y. “Engineered polyketides biosynthesis and biocatalysis in Escherichia coli.” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2010, 88, 1233-1242.
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Pashkov, I., Sawaya, R. M., Tang, Y et al. “Directed evolution and structural characterization of a simvastatin synthase.” Chem. Biol., 2009, 16, 1064-1074. (2012 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award)
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Tang, Y. “LovD mutants exhibiting improved properties towards simvastatin synthesis.” U.S. Patent No. 8,981,056 (Licensed Patent)
Dec. 7th, 2018- Our collaborative proposal with Prof. Kolomeisky (Chemistry), and Phillips (Biosciences) enables us to win the 2018 Creative Ventures Fund – InterDisciplinary Excellence Award (IDEA)! Thanks!
Nov. 21st, 2018- Group dinner @Wanna Bao. Happy Thanksgiving!
Feb. 28th, 2018- Our paper on “Broader PAM Cas9” was published on Nature!
Dec. 20th, 2017- Our Paper is online in Nature with many News and Views!