WE ARE HIRING for multiple positions! Our lab is actively looking for highly motivated postdoc researchers (2-year minimal), research assistants (2-year minimal), and graduate students who are interested in applying CRISPR technology for disease treatment and diagnosis, synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, and more! If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com!
Welcome to the Gao lab! Our research lies at the interface of chemical biology and biomolecular engineering with a primary focus on small- and macro-molecule discovery and their applications to human health, agriculture, and energy.
- Liu, W.W., An, C.Y., Shu, X., Meng, X.X., Yao, Y.P., Zhang, J., Chen, F.S., Xiang, H., Yang, S.Y., Gao, X.*, and Gao, S.S.*, “A dual-plasmid CRISPR/Cas system for mycotoxin elimination in polykaryotic industrial fungi.” ACS Synth. Biol., 2020, https://doi.org/10.1021/acssynbio.0c00178.
- Ding, N.†, Lee, S.S.†, Lieber-Kotz, M.#, Yang, J., Gao, X.*, “Advances in Genome Editing for Genetic Hearing Loss.” Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 2020, doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2020.05.001.
- Hu J.H., Miller S.M., Geurts M.H., Tang W., Chen L., Sun N., Zeina C.M., Gao, X., Rees H.A., Lin Z., Liu D.R., “Evolved Cas9 variants with broad PAM compatibility and high DNA specificity.” Nature, 2018, doi: 10.1038/nature26155.
- Gao, X., Tao Y., Lamas, V., Chen, Z. Y., Liu, D. R., et al, “Treatment of autosomal dominant hearing loss by in vivo delivery of genome editing agents.” Nature, 2018, 553, 217-221, doi:10.1038/nature25164.
- Jiménez-Osés, G., Osuna S., Gao, X., Tang, Y., Houk, K. N. et al, “The Role of Distant Mutations and Allosteric Regulation on LovD Active Site Dynamics.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2014, (6):431-6.
- Gao, X., Jiang, W, Houk K.N., Yi Tang, Walsh C.T. et al, “An Iterative, Bimodular Nonribosomal Peptide Synthetase that Converts Anthranilate and Tryptophan into Tetracyclic Asperlicins.” Chem. Biol., 2013, 20, 870-878.
- Gao, X., Haynes, S. W., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Cyclization of fungal nonribosomal peptides by a terminal condensation-Like domain.” Nat. Chem. Biol., 2012, 8, 823-830.
- Gao, X., Chooi, Y., Ames, B. D., Walsh, C. T., Tang, Y et al. “Fungal quinazoline alkaloid biosynthesis: Genetic and biochemical investigation of the tryptoquialanine pathway in Penicillium aethiopicum.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 2729-2741. (Highlighted by Nat. Chem. Biol.)
- Gao, X., Wang, P., Tang, Y. “Engineered polyketides biosynthesis and biocatalysis in Escherichia coli.” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2010, 88, 1233-1242.
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Pashkov, I., Sawaya, R. M., Tang, Y et al. “Directed evolution and structural characterization of a simvastatin synthase.” Chem. Biol., 2009, 16, 1064-1074. (2012 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award)
- Gao, X., Xie, X., Tang, Y. “LovD mutants exhibiting improved properties towards simvastatin synthesis.” U.S. Patent No. 8,981,056 (Licensed Patent)
May 8th, 2020 – Check 0ur comprehensive review of genome editing for genetic hearing diseases in Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews! Thanks for all the co-authors! Special Thanks to the Undergraduate coauthor Matan!
Dec. 23rd, 2019 – Gao Group Hotpot Outing! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Oct. 21-22, 2019- The 2019 Welch Conference! Go Genome editing!
Sep. 1st, 2019, 2019- Our group welcomes Dr. Zhiwen Liu (Postdoc), Dr. Jie Yang (Research Scientist), Qichen Yuan (Graduate Student), and Shuyuan Yang (Graduate Student)!
Aug. 28th, 2019- A completely new start of the Gao Group!
Mar. 26th, 2019- Prof. Wenjun Zhang visited us and gave a fantastic seminar!